From:
Arthur Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Apr 1994 11:42:02 -0400
>Matt Glaccum asked:
>>Help! I am trying to find out the inaugural year for each Div I team, meaning
>>that year in which a team was first eligible to advance to the Div I
>>Tournament

>I went mainly off what appears in the 1989-90 College Hockey Record
>Manual, which includes listings of teams as Independents.  For many
>teams, this was easy, but for others it isn't since they may have been
>in leagues with DivI teams early on, dropped out for a while and then
>resurfaced - or else there were periods of non-DivI play, like with
>Notre Dame.

>ECAC

>Cornell                1948-

>Years listed are the year in which the tournament was held, earliest
>being the first tournament in 1948.

Cornell's 1947-48 team played 4 games and went 0-4. "Home ice" was Beebe
Lake. Cornell then dropped hockey as a varsity sport until the construction
of Lynah Rink, reinstituting the sport for the 1957-58 season. According to
the records I have access to, the first year that Cornell played enough
games to be considered eligible for the ECAC tournament was 1962-63. I
don't know what the criteria for being "eligible to advance to the Div I
tournament" were back then, but the correct inaugural year for Cornell
should be somewhere between 1957-58 and 1962-63, not 1948.