From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 1994 09:24:04 EST
I can't comment on the media issues that Jason brought up, but as a fan I
thought the Knick was great.  Perhaps the Knick benefits from my points of
reference: The Boston Garden, Fenway Park, Foxboro Stadium.  The Gahden is
a dump with minimal aisles, uncomfortable seats, and lines that stretch way
out of the rest rooms.  Fenway Park rest rooms feature a trough that men piss
into (I haven't checked to see the comparable feature in the women's rest
room), and is a nightmare from a traffic/parking perspective.  Foxboro features
the worst of the traffic nightmares and I won't even get into the behavior I've
seen in past years of intoxicated fans.

So when I paid $5 for parking at a lot that would charge $15 outside of the
Garden, and could easily get there right off the highway, and I rode an
escalator up to the next level (an escalator, at the Gahden?  yeah, right.),
sat in a comfortable seat, and went to rest rooms that by my past standards
were spacious and pristine, and walked through lobbies that were also spacious
by Garden standards, I had to like the Knick.  As an RPI friend predicted,
the Knick made the Garden look like a pigpen (although that's about as easy
as taking candy from babies).

Were the concessions expensive?  I paid $3.50 for a sundae that was microscopic
although perhaps the woman behind the Friendlies counter just felt that I was
already too overweight.  :-)  So, yeah, the concessions were expensive, but
no more so than my other points of reference.

I do hope that any media concerns are cleared up, because the better that is
handled, the better the PR that college hockey is likely to get.  This is
the one issue that I view as possibly problematic.

I must admit that I'm oblivious to signs and stuff like that making me feel
welcome.  Among the fine group of fans and friends, my son and I felt mighty
welcome at the Knick.  We'd definitely make a return trip.

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson "Robo" [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!     Go LA Kings! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!    Go Maine!!           Go BU! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*