From:
Richard Snipes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Snipes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 1994 16:07:28 +0500
A couple of nights ago, I had the pleasure of attending the ECHL playoff
game at Dorton Arena in Raleigh, and was not at all dissapointed.  The
crowd was sparse, but very excited about their team.  Many didn't know the
rules (especially the two-line pass) but enjoyed it just the same.  It
wasn't a Hawks/Wings game by any stretch, but it showed that there is some
interest in hockey where NASCAR takes up half the sports on the news.  I'm
at UNC, and the club teams here, at State, Duke, and surrounding schools
do generate mild interest.  The Carolina/Duke rivalry is big (true in any
sport).  I only attended a few club games, and the play was pretty sloppy,
but it is a step in the right direction.  I'd love to see varsity hockey
throughout the southern states, and I applaud Andrew Smith for his
attempts at IU.  Most of the club teams around here play in an Eastern
Shore type league (I forget the name), but I believe the Florida teams are
the ones to beat (Florida State, Florida).  Kind of interesting that the
southernmost teams are the best.

Richard L. Snipes
University of North Carolina
Hey the Women's team is in the Final Four!!