From:
Ken Kretsch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Kretsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 1994 09:01:29 EST
I'm a believer in tradition, and I think for any sport (or other activity) to
take its place at the top of our culture, it needs a rich tradition.
This is where college hockey is lacking, and this is where curmudgeons play
a vital role.
   Compare hockey with other big-time college sports. Football has Knute and
the Gipper, the Galloping Ghost, the Four Horsemen, Mr. Inside and Mr. Outside.
Hell, even the Michigan Ice Rink is named after a football coach. College
basketball has John Wooden, Lew Alcindor, Bill Walton, Adolph Rupp, etc. This
tradition sustains interest accross the generations and gives large numbers of
fans a collective memory.
   Why is college hockey so tradition-challenged? Lack of media coverage?
Absolutely. Up until recently, few collegiates went on to pro careers; even
so, the
NHL tends to ignore its players' college roots. And hockey does not have that
one dominant team (ala Notre Dame or UCLA) to capture the fans' imagination.
   We can not do much to affect these issues. But it would appear we have
enough Wise Old Men who can retell the stories and legends of their time,
to fill in the missing pieces of our college hockey tradition. If Hockey-L
doesn't do it, who will?
  Tell me, Mr Curmudgeon, what was college hockey like when you were on
campus? Who were the dominant teams; the star players? Have any funny or
poignant stories? Can you remember the Minnesota teams coached by Herb Brooks?
The 1978 Bean Pot? The great Cornel-BU rivalry? Ned Harkness's days at Union?
  Why has this topic caught my fancy? Just last week was invited to my class's
15th reunion, and I have recently been diagnosed with a minor ailment common
in older gentlemen. I realize I will be approaching curmudgeon-hood in several
years. As with the Japanese, we should revere our elders!

Ken Kretsch             | For in the end, we will save only that which we love,
MT 2B-329               | we will love only that which we understand,
(908)957-2892           | and we will understand onlt that which we are taught.
(908)957-4428 FAX       |
...!att!mink!kpk        |