From:
larry latour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 1994 22:41:01 EST
For those of you who are concerned with the real victims of
the unfortunate HE tourney ban of Maine, let me relay to you
a wonderful annual event that took place today, both for
the Maine players and their young fans.

Over 1000 fans, mostly children, turned out today for a two-hour,
on ice autograph signing event with the Black Bear team members.
I'm sure these players were feeling pretty depressed about the
tourney ban decision, but they couldn't help but be lifted a
bit by this tremendous show of support from the kids.  As a
colleague of mine said, "The Maine players are very special to
the kids of this State".

This event has nothing to do with mistake prone athletic depts. or
overzealous league officials.  It just has to do with a good bunch
of hockey players and a good bunch of kids.

A good time was had by all (including my 10 year old son, who just
barely had time to get autographs from the entire team).  Oh, my
aching feet. Two hours on skates is a bit much for me.

Larry Latour
UMaine