From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 1994 08:54:00 PST
Alan Hunt writes...
>Rolf T. Kappe writes
>>Any ideas why Loges has been mopping up for Shields recently?
>>I know Red wants to get him some PT since both Gordon and Shields
>>are gone after this year, but I would have expected some time
>>for Gordon.  Now if John was the coach ...
>
>        Well Loges was suppose to be a great goallie.  He came to U of M
>in a winter term.  The newspaper was saying how good he was etc...  I
>Then that first term here he recieved no playing.  Besides the fact
>he got no playing time he was still predicted to go in the NHL draft
>but he did not.  Well he has stuck it out here eve though he rarely gets
>to play.  So I think Red is thinking this guy might be my starter next
>year I better let him play in some games.  I think it will be interesting
>to see how good he is?

I agree that Loges is getting the time to prepare for next season.
 Unofficially, I have Loges with 11 games [0 starts] and 188:19 played in
his entire career.  Currently a junior, Al has yet to register a decision.

At this point in the season, there's really no use in playing Gordon.  I
love him, but there are only 6 games left in the regular season and
potentially 7-8 post-season games.  Shields is obviously going to be the
man.  If Shields were to get hurt, I have to believe the burden would then
fall on Gordon's shoulders.

With the CCHA regular season in the bag, I wouldn't be surprised to see
Loges make his first collegiate start sometime in the next 6 games.  Maybe
March 5 against Ferris.  I'd hate to have 0 career starts returning in goal
next season.  As for Gordon, I expect Coach Berenson to give him another
relief appearance at Yost, most likely in the final first round game.
 Replacing Shields with Gordon in their last career home game will not only
allow the crowd to applaud Steve, but also give Chris a well deserved hand
for his contributions over the past four years.

Turning to next year, look for Loges to be seriously challenged by at least
one incoming freshman.  In the past 8 years, Michigan has had two #1
goaltenders: Steve Shields and Warren Sharples.  I have a hunch that in
1998, I'll be saying, "In the past 12 years, Michigan has had three #1
goaltenders..."

Lastly, on Loges billing, Alan is correct.  Loges arrival received a fair
amount of coverage.  Al spent the first 1/2 of 1991-92 playing junior hockey
in Indianapolis, where I believe he was undefeated.  Unfortunately for him,
he stepped into a situation where Shields and Gordon were only sophomores
and already established.  Personally, I'm really looking forward to seeing
Loges play.  I've been waiting a long time to congratulate him on his first
win.  But realistically, someone other than Al will have to be groomed to
lead the team beyond 1994-95, so I don't expect Loges to start anywhere near
the number of games Shields did in a normal season.

>        Okay so he started playing College ice hockey in the winter term
>of 1992.  He played 1 period that term.  My question is how many more
>seasons is he eligible for?  Does the NCAA go by semester or by sports
>season or what ever?

My understanding is that Loges eligibility expires at the conclusion of next
season.

A final interesting note is that Al never played hockey [at least not
goaltender] until high school.  With only a couple of years in his late
teens and a 0-0-0 record in almost three seasons at Michigan, he's probably
the least experienced upperclassman in the nation.  No hidden implication
there, just a tidbit I find interesting.  If anything, it's a tribute to him
that he can enter a Div I program like Michigan given his late start in the
sport.

  John H
  U Mich (27-2-1)