From:
"John R. Nash" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John R. Nash
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1993 14:08:33 -0600
Hello all, I'm new to this list...  I've been a college hockey fan since my
freshman year at Harvard, and the love-affair is continuing while I'm at
grad school in Wisconsin.  (So, those are my favorite teams, and I would
root for Harvard in a head-to-head game.)

Some comments on this past weekend's UW/NMU series, which was a split:

Friday's game: Northern won 5-2, in a game that was closer than the score
would indicate.  Northern played their "hitting game" in the first period,
and Wisconsin their "skating game" in the second, making it 2-2 going into
the final period after a very even game.  Northern seems to really come
alive in the third period (statistically, they have been overwhelming this
year), and they did just that, shutting the Badgers down and dictating the
physical style of play.  NMU's freshman goaltender (don't recall the name)
put in a strong performance in net.

Saturday's game: Wisconsin won 5-4, in a game that _shouldn't_ have been
close.  The Badgers played their freshman goalie, Kirk Daubenspeck, and
made it easy for him in the first period (2 saves).  They took a 5-1 lead
into the third period, after two periods of hard-hitting hockey (incl. a
5-minute major penalty for taking a baseball-swing at a Badger's head for
one of the NMU players.  Coach Comely sent the player to the locker room.)
As has been the case several times this season, the Badgers relaxed and the
Wildcats exploded in the third period.  Even with another 5-minute major
(intentional high stick to the face) on NMU, the 'Cats scored three goals,
including one on a "freshman mistake" clearing pass from Daubenspeck
straight to an NMU player while he was well out of the crease.  The Badgers
managed to hold off the last-minute flurry and escape with the victory,
sending the fans dashing home to watch the football game in Japan.

Badger notes: The team is loaded with talent, but they are (once again)
playing like individuals instead of a cohesive unit.  Winger Jason Zent,
still frustrated at being cut from the olympic team, had some angry quotes
in the paper about the way the team is playing.  If they get it together,
they will easily challenge for the McNaughton Cup and pay a visit to St.
Paul.  They have settled down after shaky starts in previous years....

John R. Nash     [log in to unmask]