From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1993 10:28:13 EST
Well, I left my notes at home again, so I'll just toss these brief observations
out there.

The first five minutes of the game were TOTAL domination by UMass-Lowell.  I
would be surprised if a total of 30 seconds were spent in their defensive
zone.  Since the Chiefs had won the previous night in Providence 7-1, I figured
that what I saw was a good explanation of the previous night's score.
Unfortunately for UML fans, they did not score during this stretch and I
believe the period ended with the score 1-1 and even on shots on goal.

At some point in the third period, however, UML found itself down 4-2 and
getting outshot in the (overrated) shots on goal statistic.  They did rally to
narrow the gap to 4-3 and had good pressure near the end but could not
capitalize on their opportunities and tie the score.

What happened?  First, I don't believe that PC is anywhere near as bad as
their record indicates.  Either two or three of their losses were to Maine
(nice scheduling!).  Second, it seems that UMass-Lowell plays better in away
games.  I attribute this to the smaller home ice surface at Tully.  Although
the PC fan who posted Friday's results claimed that the Friars were trying to
play finesse hockey, I didn't see that at all (with the exception of Chad
Quennville, who I like a lot as a player).  They are a large team (see Hulbig
and Gill, for example) that IMO plays a lot of clutch and grab.  When this is
allowed, it is quite effective on smaller surfaces.  Since Lowell is a speed
and skill team IMO, their advantage in that department is neutralized.  All
that is water under the bridge, though, since the Chiefs will be at Tully for
the forseeable future.  (Regrettably, the politicians are supposedly getting
their fingers into the new rink pie and it looks less likely that it will be
located in the middle of the campus.)  Third, perhaps the 7-1 score on Friday
and the dominance in the first five minutes lulled the Chiefs into thinking
they could turn it on and off at will.

The season is still young  and with a lot of new players, I suspect that
lines will be juggled until the combinations are found that will capitalize
on more of their chances.

One final point, and I may get some PC flames here.  At the end of Friday
night's game PC reportedly picked up a lot of penalties, with the resulting
power play goals for UML inflating the score.  On Saturday night, with 3
seconds left and the puck at center ice, a PC player slashed Shane Henry.
Shane, a Lady Byng-type, was so furious with the cheap shot that he went
after the player.  The whole UML team was upset at the guy.  (Yes, I'm sure
they were also upset at losing.)  My point is that cheap shots at the end of
a game reflect badly on a team.  I don't consider 1 or 2 games to be
conclusive proof, but if this continues to happen in PC games, then they are
going to become the least-respected team in my book.  I'm hoping these were
isolated incidents and not a trend.

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson        [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Get-A-Lifer and Proud Of It       *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!     Go LA Kings! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!    Go Maine!!           Go BU! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*