From:
Paul Marchant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Marchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1993 09:31:34 EDT
Well, it seems that there is alot of support for getting Cal's penalty
resinded. While I agree that it is a shame that he will be forced to
sitout, I agree that it is a fair punishment. While it is the
institution's responsibility to check these matters, especially with
regards to transfers. It is also Cal's responsibility to do the same.
One of the problems we find frequently with college athletics is that
the players tend to rely upon the coaches and institutions to inform
them of what they should and should not do. They tend to rely too much
on these individuals. I bet there are very few on this list who would
rely upon the bursar's office to do something important for us. We'd
check and double check. I can't help but think that Cal should have
questioned things alittle more in his transfer.

Regardless of how the NC$$ handles other sports and other infractions,
and regardless of whether they are letting other things go, it does
not mean that Cal's situation should be brushed over. It's
unfortunate, agreed. The punishment seems fair to me. 14 games out for
14 games played. I'm surprised that Maine was not further punished
(like a fine or something) for failing to catch the situation in the
first place.

Oh, well. Not a popular opinion, I bet. But one I felt needed to be
expressed.

Paul Marchant     |  CCHA, BEST in NCAA Hockey  | (513) 865 - 1637
Mead Data Central |                             | Statutes Conversion Eng.
P.O. Box 933      |      Go BGSU Falcons!       | [log in to unmask]
Dayton, OH  45401 |                             | ...!uunet!meaddata!paulm