From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1993 23:02:47 EDT
Ryan wrote...
>It was reported on the local news tonight Cal Ingraham will be
>forced to sit out Sunday's game against Team USA. Sportscaster
>Tim Throckmorton of WABI TV reported Maine found an error in
>Ingraham's transcript from the Air Force Academy, where Ingraham
>was enrolled before coming to Maine. Maine has reported the
>error to NCAA officials. Ingraham may have to sit out anywhere
>from two to 14 games, Throckmorton reported.

   Throckmorton had it almost right.  There was no error in the
   transcript from Air Force Academy, however.

   Cal brought 8 credits with him from AF.  He attended school here
   (really Bangor Community College of the University of Maine), and
   earned 23 credit hours.  The athletic department mistakenly recorded
   the transfer credits as part of the BCC credits, giving Cal 31
   credits.  31 was more than enough (24 were required) for Cal to be
   eligible to play in the Fall of 1991.  If Cal or the coaches had been
   aware that he had earned only 23 credits, he could have easily stayed
   for a summer session course, but they didn't and he didn't.  Cal
   played 14 games that Fall.

   Maine switched to a new computer system this Fall and found the
   error.  They reported it to the NCAA and the NCAA is expected to make
   a ruling this week.  I don't know the logic that goes into it, but
   expectations are that the NCAA will rule Cal ineligible for somewhere
   between 2 and 14 games.  Too bad.

cheers,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]