From:
Robert Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1993 17:53:28 -0400
John Connolly (or "Jocko," as he is known in hockey pressboxes) of the Boston
Herald had this piece in today's paper. I'll quote it verbatim.

Hockey East has narrowed its choice of a new commissioner to three finalists,
the Herald has learned. The finalists are NC$$ coordinator of officials
Charles Holden of Melrose, Mass., Northeastern University assistant athletic
director David Frazier of Danvers, Mass., and Howard Cornfield of
Jacksonville University. Former commissioner Stu Haskell resgined this past
summer to devote more time to his duties as North Atlantic Conference
commissioner. No timetable has been set for the naming of the new commissioner."

Now I'll add a few of my thoughts:

I'm very surprised to *not* see Noni Daly's name on this list. As I'm sure
many of you know, Noni is the assistant commissioner of HE and has basically
been responsible for the overall operation of the league for at least the
last season. She and Haskell split administrative duties; Haskell had his
hand in more of the NAC's affairs than he did HE's.
With all due respect to Howard Cornfield of Jacksonville U., does anyone
know anything about this candidate? What connection, if any, does he have
to Hockey East or the member institutions?
I also wonder who else applied for the position...I do remember seeing an
ad in the Boston Globe sometime in late June or early July for the
new commissioner. Surprising that the league appears not to have moved too
quickly on this, considering the season is right around the corner and there
is a new league affiliate (UMass-Amherst). Both these factors suggest to me
that HE would want to name a new commish ASAP, before the season gets fully
underway. Of course, maybe there were a ton of applicants and it was
a difficult field to narrow down.

Sid Whitaker
BU '95