From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1993 12:18:56 -0400
Jim Farrell writes (about the Governor's Cup, featuring UMass/UNH/Maine/
Vermont, and an attempt at a previous tourney):
>   The proposal went
>   nowhere fast--will the addition of the "real" UMass make a
>   difference?

It will be interesting.  It may depend on how quickly UMass gets up to
speed.  Good rivalries already exist between UNH-Vermont and Maine-UNH.
I think if UMass is able to develop rivalries with the other two HE
schools, it will go a long way towards insuring the success of this
tourney.

>   (Perhaps the real question is whether Governor
>   Weld of Massachusetts is more of a hockey fan than former governor
>   Michael Dukakis).

I'm not sure, but he's definitely more of a rock & roll fan. :-)

>   Of course, the other attempt at developing a regular Northern
>   New England tournament--the Auld Lang Syne, is now hardly
>   recognizable in its original form, which featured UNH, UMaine,
>   Vermont, and Dartmouth.

And isn't this the last year of the ALSC?  I think Vermont has also
bolted to host its own tourney, and UNH would like to be able to play
in other tourneys around the nation like the Badger Showdown.  I
wonder how that will affect the rivalry between the two NH schools, UNH
and Dartmouth.  It would be too bad if it falls by the wayside.

Soon, will everyone have their own tourneys with no opponents? :-)
---
Mike Machnik           [log in to unmask]          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMN* 11/13/93