From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1993 09:41:25 -0500
Glad to finally get all that backed up hockey-l mail Saturday!  Sorry 'bout
posting the THIRD list of Olympic team memebers;  I didn't yet realize that
I wasn't receiving everyone else's posts and thought no one had posted it yet!
But now to the subject at hand:

Brian Morris writes:

>Dave Langevin was a member of the victorious 1980 Lake Place Olympic team.  A
>true defensive defensemen Langevin anchored the NY Islanders'defense through
>several Stanley Cup seasons, until his knees forced retirement.  Langevin
>played collegiately at, I believe,  Minnesota.
>                    _

No, Langevin was NOT on the 1980 team, and, as someone (I think it was
Gary Hatfield) already mentioned, he went to Minnesota-Duluth.

Mike Machnick writes:
>mentioned, but maybe someone can expound.  I was also wondering, will
>Kelley become the first US college coach enshrined in the HoF?
>---
Well, John Mariucci and Bob Johnson immediately come to mind, (although one
could argue that Mariucci was inducted because of his exploits as a player,
also), and last year's inductees were Len Ceglarski, Amo Bessone, and
Jim Fullerton, all former college coaches (at BC, Mich St., and Brown, I
believe).

I'll include here parts of the article from the Strib about this year's
inductees:

From Saturday's Mpls Star-Tribune (the front page!):

Peanuts on ice
Charles Schulz and gang skate into U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame

by John Gilbert
Staff Writer

All those years of battling Woodstock in one-on-one games on the
frozen bird-bath have finally paid off.  Snoopy is going into the
U. S. Hockey Hall of Fame.

OK, not Snoopy precisely, but close enough: Charles M. Schulz,
creator of Snoopy and the "Peanuts" cartoon strip, has been voted
into the hall, which is located in Eveleth, Minn.

He will join former college and pro coach John H. (Jack) Kelley and
former player and St. Paul native Dave Langevin for induction at the
October ceremony.  The announcement was made Friday.

The captivating cartoons have made Snoopy a universally recognized
hockey player, but Schulz also advanced the sport of hockey by
taking some of Minnesota with him to California, where he built the
Redwood Empire Arena in 1969.  Last month, 56 over-40 teams competed
there in the 19th annual seniors tournament.

(I've omitted here several paragraphs of reminiscences of boyhood
hockey in St. Paul, including watching the Hansen brothers play in
1935 - Pam)

Langevin, 39, is a St. Paul native who went from Hazel Park (a St.
Paul neighborhood - PJS) to star on defense at Hill-Murray, and
then for Minnesota-Duluth.  Langevin played three years with the
Edmonton Oilers of the WHA, then six seasons with the New York
Islanders, including a substantial role on defense during the
Islanders' four consecutive Stanley Cups of 1980 through '83.

Langevin later played a year for the North Stars and finished his
career with a partial season in Los Angeles before his right knee
gave out.  He went into coaching after that, and currently is coach
and general manager of the South St. Paul team in a newly formed
Minnesota junior league.

Kelley, 66, coached three years at Colby College and 10 years at Boston
University, then went on to become coach and general manager of the
Hartford Whalers when the World Hockey Association began in 1972.

Kelley's Boston U. teams won the NCAA title in 1971 and 1972, losing
only six games in those two seasons while becoming the last college
team to win back-to-back titles.  HIs Whalers won the AVCO Cup as WHA
champs in 1973.  His college teams had a combined 303-147-13 record,
and his pro teams were 77-55-6.  He was named president of the Pittsburgh
Penguins this summer.

But the inductions of Kelly [sic] and Langevin won't command the
attention of a cartoonist and his dog.  "Peanuts" has been distributed
to newspapers since 1950, when United Features Syndicate bought the
strip.  A forerunner of the cartoon, called "Li'l Folks," ran for two
years before that in the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

Its best-known sports theme over the years has centered on the exploits
of Charlie Brown's baseball team, which made headlines in March when it
won for the first time.

In the hockey sequences, Schulz said:  "I have Snoopy playing against
Woodstock on the birdbath.  But it's difficult to cartoon hockey,
because there is so much action."

(end of article)

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!