From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1993 13:25:36 -0400
John writes:
>1993 inductees to the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in Eveleth MN:
>
>  John H "Jack" Kelley -- former college and pro coach

He coached BU to back-to-back national titles in 71 and 72.  In the
middle of the 71-72 campaign, he announced that he would be stepping
down at the end of the season to take over the New England Whalers of
the newly-formed WHA, and his team responded by winning the national
title for him in his last collegiate game.  One of the stars on that
BU team was a young Ron Anderson, now head coach at Merrimack.

Kelley went on, I believe, to direct the Whalers to the first Avco
World Trophy as inaugural WHA champions.  In addition, I think their
goaltender was a kid named Bill Berglund out of Boston State (now
UMass-Boston).  Berglund is now an assistant to Jack Parker at BU.

I do not know Kelley's pro coaching history other than what I
mentioned, but maybe someone can expound.  I was also wondering, will
Kelley become the first US college coach enshrined in the HoF?
---
Mike Machnik           [log in to unmask]          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMN* 11/13/93
R.I.P. Reggie Lewis NU/Celtics #35