From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1993 17:53:30 -0400
The Boston Globe's article on the Olympic selections is headlined
"Team Massachusetts" - interesting to see the perspectives in various
regions, although this time Minn & Mass are pretty balanced out with 6
& 7 members.

Anyway, the Globe listed a few more Team USA exhibitions that I
don't think have been mentioned here yet.

Sat Oct 16 Team USA at Maine
 Garth Snow said he thought the NC$$ banner might be unfurled at
 this game.
Wed Dec 1  Team Russia vs Team USA @ UMass
Sat Dec 4  Team Russia vs Team USA @ Lake Placid

There's also a game listed for Fri Oct 22, Team USA @ BC.  I haven't
heard whether this is still on, I'm assuming yes unless I hear otherwise.
If I can make the game at UMass, it will be my first look at the new
Mullins Center.  Its surface is Olympic-sized.

BTW, I think Team USA will end up playing almost the same number of
college teams as it did in 1991 - the main difference this time around
seems to be fewer pro (NHL/minors) teams in favor of games on
international ice surfaces against international teams.  I'm reserving
judgment on whether I think this is a good thing.  I thought one of
the reasons they did well in 92 was they had so many tough games
against teams that were better than they were.  I do believe it is a
better strategy than 1988, when the best team America ever put on
skates (next to the 1991 Canada Cup team) warmed up by blowing 30 or
so college teams out of the water and did not do well in Calgary,
except for the third period of the USSR game (best period USA Hockey
has ever played, IMO!).

Upon reading the suggestions that this is the team Tim Taylor will
stick with, except for a couple of last-minute additions, I have to
say I do not think they will medal in Lillehammer.  I don't think this
team is as good as 92, especially at forward.  We're hearing talk
about speed, but I thought that team had speed too.  Maybe I'll be
more confident after seeing them...it's still early.  Also, one factor
that should work in their favor is that I don't think most of the
other teams will be as strong as they were in 92 either because many
of those players have gone to the NHL.  But teams like Canada, Russia
and Sweden should still be strong enough to keep the US out of a medal
yet again.

Just being realistic...while reserving the right to be hopeful. :-)
---
Mike Machnik           [log in to unmask]          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMN* 11/13/93
R.I.P. Reggie Lewis NU/Celtics #35