From:
"Brian Cavanaugh @ Koessler Athletics" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Cavanaugh @ Koessler Athletics
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1993 12:50:08 -0500
The history and background of both ECAC and SUNY is too long to
get into but I will make a few points on this subject.  These
are based on 13 years head coaching, 3 years Asst. Coach and
5 years playing all at the this level - my first experience
with college hockey was in 1971.

1. The ECAC is run by the members A.D.'s - I've been told
   that many times by Joe Bertagna (Executive Director).
   If legislation needs to be accomplished - the A.D.'s
   put it in and then it becomes LAW.  All the ECAC does
   is  ?????  I guess schedule two meetings a year.
   This may sound cynical BUT that's what I see - very
   little sound intellligent foresight from the top.
   With one exception - Joe B. - he cares and listens
   and tries to help as much as he can.

2. SUNY - they have their own conference and automatic
   bid to the nationals.  They are still members of ECAC ?
   Why ?   They do not participate in ECAC playoffs.
   IMHO - the ECAC should MANDATE that they do participate
   or they are NOT PART OF ECAC HOCKEY. - PERIOD !!!!!
   This is harsh but send a message that you are either
   in the conference or your not.

3. There should be some ORGANIZED way that games INTRACONFERENCE
   count toward ECAC postseason. (NOTE: All games count in
   overall record for consideration by NCAA selection for
   at - large bid to the national champioship - if you
   qualify in your classification.)  I would like to see
   games West vs Suny, East vs West, North vs West (yes, all
   divisions) somehow count.  Why ?  Maybe we could expand
   our schedules and create more competition outside our
   regions.  Things are getting too local - and I'm sure
   that $$$$$  (A.D.'s) are nodding that this is good.

4. As time goes on the games (RIT vs Oswego) will become
   LESS important - because it won't count in either
   teams ECAC standings.

5. SUNY is a very powerful group - in all sports. They
   have the ideal situation - especially with the automatic
   bid.  They can just compete within SUNY and survive.
   Buffalo State this year becomes the 8th team and will
   play a varsity schedule in a beautiful new rink on campus.

6. NESCAC may follow SUNY's course of action - seek an automatic
   bid and play a home/home within NESCAC and limit play
   outside NESCAC.  This will affect the EAST within a year
   otr two - my prediction.  There are still enough teams
   in the EAST for competition - but it won't be the same.

7. Each school has its own agenda in the ECAC - size, public vs
   private, academic standards, etc.  It would be a DREAM to
   have the ECAC look at the total picture and devise some
   plan of action.  As in the past things will happen - and
   as they do - then the committee reacts to it. That's the
   way its been and thats the way it will be.

8. This year - East, WEST, Suny - all have their own
   schedule and standings for regular season with no
   post season play against each other (within ECAC).
   The North/Central/South play against each other in
   ECAC post season ???

9. The West will only have 6 teams (Elmira, Hobart, RIT,
   Canisius, Mercyhurst and Scranton) St. Bonaventure has
   dropped varsity hockey and will be CLUB.  That means
   there's 10 division games that count for playoffs and
   4 out of 6 teams based on points will make playoffs.
   Although those are nice odds - from my perspective
   and our players I would like to see a more diversified
   arrangement.

10. and last..... as always your opinions and insights
    are read with enthusiasm and gusto.

Brian Cavanaugh
Canisius College

P.S. Bill Greer - I tried to send a personal message
     but it did'nt go thru - send your E-Mail address
     to me.