From:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1993 13:16:09 EDT
University of Maine Black Bears head coach Shawn Walsh announced
Monday he will not leave Maine to become head coach of UMass-Amherst
next season.

"It was a tremendous offer... But I've never coached for money. I
never have and I never want to," Walsh said. While at the Final
Four, Walsh agreed to a two-year contract extension and a 10+ per-
cent pay raise. His contract had been due to expire at the end of
the 1994-95 season, according to the Bangor Daily News.

UMass offered Walsh a coaching base salary of $85,000, with perks
to be figured in later. At Maine, Walsh currently receives a base
salary of $85,000. With the raise, he will receive around $72,000
a year. With summer clinics, he stands to make around $88,000.

Last year Walsh received a 5 percent pay-cut with other non-union
university employees making in excess of $55,000.

Walsh said he was "livid" at published reports saying his wife,
Tracey, didn't like living in Maine and was encouraging him to
accept the offer.

"She loves it here," Walsh said. "We both love it here."

Walsh's 5-4 win over Lake Superior State to win the NCAA Champ-
ionship was his 250th career win. Walsh is now 250-120-14 for
his career. Since 1987, his teams have gone 205-47-10. The last
two seasons he has led the Black Bears to an overall record of
73-5-4.

Ryan Robbins
Penobscot Hall
University of Maine