From:
Rob Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rob Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1993 00:35:34 GMT
<Game highlights deleted>

>It was a tense third period as I knew that we had to beat the Badgers by TWO
>goals in order to get the tie-breaker for second-place. When coach Sauer
>pulled Carey for an extra skater in the last minute of play I KNEW that we
>would get one in the open net!! (Really!) It wasn't easy, but if anyone could
>pull it off it would be Craig Johnson who is brilliant with the puck. The
>Badgers lost possession of the puck at their blue line and Johnson got to it.
>Johnson first overskated the puck, but spun around and hit a 45-foot backhand
>towards the net (which he couldn't see) and it went in the empty net.
>Jubilation!!!

I may be wrong on this, but I think that the tie-breaker is head to head record,
which is even, and then it's conference wins, not total goals in head to head
competition.  If total goals were the case, I would hope that Coach Sauer
would know better than to pull Carey.

On a side note, it is interesting to see how fans of opposing teams can see the
same game so differently.  At least three of the Gopher goals were the result
of really bad defensive moves by the Badgers (Like Barry Ritcher trying to be
cute in front of his own goaltender, who just happens to be without a stick!).
And another goal or two was the result of having Jon Michelizzi in the nets on
Saturday night.  After giving up 3 goals on 8 shots, he was replaced by Carey
in the second period.  And Carey shut the Gophers out the rest of the way.
It was a rough weekend for Badger fans.  But it's always fun when the Gophers
come to town.

And now, on a flip side note, how do people decide where their loyalties lie?
In my example, I grew up just north of the Twin Cities (Anoka) but I went to
college and now work for the University of Wisconsin.

Also, I heard that the Bradley Center received over 35,000 ticket requests by
July 1.  Does anyone know if this is true?  That would have sold out the place
twice!

 Rob