From:
Charles Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 1992 23:00:27 -0700
Air Force lost to Notre Dame 4-1
Army lost to Denver 4-3

AF 0 0 1  1
ND 3 0 1  4

The game was more evenly played than the score shows.  Air Force was
again stymied on odd man situations being unable to score on their
power play (I believe Coach Shafer said AF went 0 for 12 on the power
play) and they gave up 2 power play goals and a short handed goal.

ARMY   2 0 1  3
DENVER 1 2 1  4

Army jumped out to an early lead in the first minute and then went up
2-0 a few minutes later.  Denver got a goal about midway through the
period.  Both of Denver's 2nd period goals were power play goals, the
first catching army on a changes as they iced the puck, and the second
less than 2 minutes later.  In a call I didn't understand (perhaps
kenny z or mike can help here) army was short handed and was being
called for a delayed penalty when Denver tied the score.  The Army
player went into the box for a full 2 minutes even though the goal was
scored on the delayed penalty call.  Army tied it early in the third,
but DU got the eventual winner on a 4 on 2 breakout with just under 5
minutes to go.  Denver took a major for checking from behind in the
final seconds, but army was unable to tie the game.  I felt DU was the
better team, but army was able to compensate with outstanding
goaltending and a hard hitting style of play.

Tomorrow sees the inter service rivalry (Army Vs Air Force) in the
early game and the CCHA vs the WCHA in the finale.

I'll post box scores if they appear in tomorrow's paper.

Happy holidays to all....

charlie shub  [log in to unmask]       -or-         (719) 593-3492
on leave at the University of Iowa  [log in to unmask] (319) 335-0739