From:
Jeff Shimbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 1992 22:20:07 PDT
> San Jose State University has a little problem with getting media attention
> for their teams. It's *very* apparent for the hockey team, [...]
>
> So, how do your universities get the media and the local fan base to pay
> attention?                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Promotion.  Publicize your team's schedule.

At the grass roots level, try the net.  I live near San Jose, own part
of a Sharks season ticket, and have never heard of the SJSU hockey
team.  I did, however, learn of the Stanford and Cal [Berkeley] teams
through a posting by the Stanford goalie on USENET [ba.something] and
hockey-l.  I invited two hockey virgins to the Stanford-Cal game and
they now both own part of the above mentioned season ticket.

[I'll bet there are more Bay Area hockey-l subscribers than the 3
people whose posts I've noticed.]

Get the fans and the media will follow.

Good luck,

Jeff Shimbo

And to all you hockey-l members out there ...

since I haven't posted since fall ... here's my belated public thank
you to Wayne Smith and the members of hockey-l for providing the only
college hockey news readily available on the Left Coast and for hours
of entertainment.

Now will you guys lighten up on the ECAC and Ivy bashing?  :-)