From:
Eric Burton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:07:02 -0600
> Eric suggests it's a fact of college hockey that there are campus sites
and
> that we should get over it.

Thats the brutal reality, Westerns school have bigger fan bases that pack
huge arenas and the NCAA is all about the money. UND, UofMN and UofWisc have
on average 9,000-10,000 fans to watch them play. Whats the crowds like in
the east. 4000-5000. The WCHA is a big money producer and its never going to
change as long as it produces money. Every spring we as UND fans have to
stomach the Minnesota rule of the WCHA, the Final Five is in the X-cel
Energy Center. So the Gophers get the 7:30 game, this cause the number one
seed the past two years have to play the 230 game. Is it fair, hell no. But
that the breaks.

The rest of the answer:------
If the WCHA or CCHA sponsored the regional, instead of a school, it
would still be in the same arenas/cities (plus/minus one or two), with
the same geographic realities: if it is in Michigan, it is a huge
advantage to Michigan Teams, or peraps Notre Dame if they make the
tournament and are sent there.

If it is in Colorado, a huge advantage to CC and Denver. Everyone else
is 8+ hours away by car.

Minneapolis is "close" to 4 Minnesota schools: 1, 1.5, 2, and 4 hours
away.

Green Bay is 5 hours from Minneapolis, 6 from Duluth, 4 hours from
Houghton, and 2.5 from Madison (and doesn't have a D1 hockey team)

Wisconin made a bid for Madison (on campus) and I believe Milwaukee
(Bradley Center) -- and was turned down.

When the tournament first switched to regionals, it was held in
Detroit -- and did not draw well.

Chicago has no college hockey, so it wouldn't be a good place for a
regional.

Your beating a dead horse. The big schools are the darlings of the NCAA,
especially Michigan and Minnesota, its never going to change and why should
these schools be punished. The WCHA has one something like 4/5 NCAA titles.
We pack lots of fans into arenas and we are the top colleges in NCAA hockey.
Question when is the last time an EZAC school one the NCAA. Lastly Amherst
bid for a NCAA regional, you can't get one if you don't submit a bid.