From:
"ACAD2A::ANTLM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1992 21:31:46 -0900
The info I posted on the Independent tourney pairings came from info we received
 here at UAA from Alaska-Fairbanks, the tourney host. It is my
understanding that the top four Independent teams as ranked by the
KBYR poll that were WILLING to participate were chosen...in other
words, I can only assume that Kent State (ranked No. 2) chose
not to attend...
As has been discussed before, the Independent tourney winner does
NOT automatically receive the Independent bid to the NCAA tourney.
When we here at UAA iniated it last year, we did it to 1 - give the
Independent teams a "conference" tourney of sorts and 2 - to give
the NCAA hockey selection committee something else to look at
in evaluating the Independent teams.
Frankly, since UAF is hosting this year's tourney, I don't feel
comfortable being considered an authority on the subject. Those
that might like more information would be well-advised to address
them to Lynn Lashbrook, the UAF director of athletics.
.
Tim McDiffett