Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 1992 14:40:15 -0500
    \*\
       \*\                         ITS A SWEEP!!!
        \*\
         \*\
          \*\
           \=\
           \\\\\\
           \\\\\\\\
            \\\\\\\\\
             \\\\\\\\\
              !!!!!!!\\\

Stevens Point swept Mankato State this weekend to extend their winning streak
to 12 games and take 1st place in the NCHA over UW-Superior who finishes 1
point behind.

Friday Night:

        Mankato State           0       3       0       0       -  3
        UW-Stevens Point        2       1       0       1       -  4

This was a GREAT hockey game. The first period was the best period of hocky
I have seen all year. We were 9 minutes into the game before the 1st penalty
(unheard of in Pointerland), great skating by both sides, both goalies
throughout the game were outstanding.  Point took an early lead when Bouschor
took a rebound right in front of Langlot and instead of lifting the puck took
a nice, easy backhand through the 5-hole.  This was a classy shot.  Things
were looking good into the second period when MS managed 3 unanswered goals,
the last on a 5/3 power play, but Point answered with a powerplay goal of its
own.  The third period was great.  Some good scoring chances on both sides but
the goalies stood their ground.

OT:  Point came out roaring with a half dozen shots on goal.  Then MS got a
breakaway at 00:50.  Chin gave him the glove side but when he shot stacked the
pads and took it away.  Point then scored the winner at 01:08 with a little
flip shot from in close following multiple rebounds.

Saturday Night:

        Mankato State           0       1       0       -       1
        UWSP                    4       3       3       -      10

This was a totally different game.  MS put Prodhol in goal and left him there
even though he got shelled, probably to rest Langlot and because Prodhol was a
Senior and this was his last game.  The game didn't matter to MS in the
standings either, which may have something to do with the score, but it
mattered to Point because Superior had won earlier and we needed the win to
finish first.

Horback scored first for Point at 00:10 and was followed by Tretter at 00:48!
Two to zero in less than a minute.  And the pressure never stopped.  MS
probably was playing subpar without great enthusiasm, but we might have been
competitive with good Div I teams last night.  OK, OK, flame me already.  But
I sure would have liked to watch us play a good Div I team.  Maybe next year.

Well, on the to playoffs.  We host Bemidji State next weekend, and, if
successful, will host the winner of Superior/Mankato State the following.
And, even if we lose (which I doubt and fervently hope we don't) will surely
be in the NCAA III tourney.  Onward and Upward!

Tom Rowe                      INTERNET:
UWSP Dept. of Psychology      [log in to unmask]
Stevens Point, WI  54481      *****************************
341-3084                      I am in the prime of senility