Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 1992 23:36:30 EST

> [comments by J. Haeussler about fans ejected for throwing hats on ice
>  during Mich-Miami game]
>
> What amazes me about this that the average age of ushers has to be about
> 110.  They don't clamp down on kids banging on the boards, which is quite
> dangerous, or the classless Cornell fans who threw newspaper on the ice
> during the playoffs last year.  Michigan athletics is becoming a police
> state.
>
> Mike Burger
> Michigan '90
> (by the way John, where are your seats?)

I think that the term "classless" is unduly harsh on the Cornell fans.  It is a
home tradition that during the opposing team's lineup announcement, the fans
(mainly the student half of the rink) pretend to be disinterested by reading
the paper and chanting, "BOR-ING!"  At the end of the intros--of course, at
home, the Cornell intros follow--we are so happy to hear a real team being
announced that we throw our papers away.  It is quite an effect to see all
those papers rain down on the ice.  The Lynah rink staff knows it is coming,
and several people come out on the ice with garbage bags and have the ice
cleared in about a minute.  It does not interefere with the game, newspapers
cannot hurt anyone, and it is tradition.  At least at Lynah, they respect
traditions.  Additionally, it is not obscene or vulgar, and hardly represents a
classless act.

We try, however, to not throw the papers on the ice when we are at opposing
rinks.  There are sometimes a few idiots who don't think.  What can you do?  I
think our behavior at Yost was pretty good.  E-mail me off-line if there were
other problems you had.  I can tell a few stories about Michigan fans myself,
but I know that these people were not representative of the average Wolverine
fan.

--
Dave [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95