From:
Duke Of Earl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1992 13:07:46 EST
>The Gophers ran their victory streak to 12 in a row (13 if you include
>the exhibition game against Calgary) by subjecting Northern Michigan
>to their first home sweep since 1986.  Minnesota hasn't lost since being
>swept at home by Northern December 14-15.  They gained their revenge by
>holding WCHA scoring leaders Hiller and Beattie scoreless for the weekend.

Indeed the Gophers looked impressive here at Lakeview Arena.  They were
particularly impressive in killing the power play.  That coupled with
Northerns poor power play performance for the weekend stood out in my
memory of the games.   There were several Gofer fans in attendance
for the series.  Northern hadn't been swept at home since December of
'87 when Denver beat them two nights in overtime.

I would note that I thought Northern played a better game than the
Gofers on Friday night although they did not in goals.  Saturday night
coach Comley started freshman Jamie Welsh in goal who lasted until
mid-second period.  This move had the fans wondering what Comley's
reason(s) might be to bring in a freshman with little to no experience
for what has probably been Northerns biggest game of the season.

It should also be noted for the Minnesota folks that Steve Woog, #16
for Northern had what I would call a good weekend.

Northern has some serious soul searching to do.  They know that if they
have any thoughts of being a national contender things must change and
they must change quickly.  The individual talent appears to be there,
now the players must demonstrate a willingness to put it all together.

--