From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1992 16:16:03 GMT
Graham writes:
>With regard to Dave Delchapmps posting about Cornell's win over Colgate:
>I believe that Cornell's goal at the end of the second period is the only
>goal that I have heard of as being scored at 20:00 of a period.

I have seen several with the most vivid coming two years ago when Merrimack
hosted AIC; AIC fought back from a 6-3 deficit with three goals in the final
minute to earn a tie, and the tying goal came at 20:00.  In that game, the
final buzzer had sounded and the clock went to zero, but the referee ruled
that the puck went in before the buzzer sounded.

Since these seem to be similar situations, I have two questions for people
who were at the Cornell game or for anyone who can answer them (Kenny Z?):

1) Was there a faceoff after the goal at Cornell?  There wasn't one in AIC-
  Merrimack, they went straight to overtime.  This doesn't make sense to me
  because if a goal is to count, it must have come before the end of the
  period - thus there must still be time left on the clock and time for a
  faceoff.

2) How can a goal come at 20:00?  Is it because the clock is actually being
  "rounded up" from 19:59.5+?  If the answer is yes, then I have no problem.
  I guess if someone could score quickly enough, you could score a goal
  at 0:00 if it came at 0:00.4, yet the clock would show 19:59 remaining
  since it goes right from 20:00 to 19:59 when it is turned on.  And when it
  changes to 0:00, there is actually another second (at many rinks) before
  the buzzer/horn sounds.

- mike

PS Word is Maine-Merrimack will sell out tomorrow night or come darn close.