From:
Tom Tseng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1992 16:01:38 LCL
 Times Union
After reading so many postings regarding Bob Croce's article on TCHCR, I'm
impressed by everyone's cool and rational response to Mr. Croce's comments. (I
don't mind flame wars; sometimes it's fun.  But this approach to the TCHCR
controversy is the right one).  To me, polls are invariably imprecise and often
opinion-driven.  Even TCHCR has its inherent shortcomings, let alone bugs that
may not have surfaced.  People who are interested in polls should probably read
more than just one poll and not believe in everything it says.  In other words,
keep some objectivity in mind.  In my business (college admissions), there are
so many different polls or rankings out there.  If I get all worked up every
time Cornell dips in a particular rating, then I'd waste a lot of energy
worrying about nothing.  I'm sure the people responsible for their polls like
to think theirs is the best, or most accurate, but shouldn't the users/readers
be the ultimate judge?  Like I said to my housemate on the night of New Year's
Day, let's crown both Miami and Washington as co-national champions, one for
the east and the other for the west coast.  Look what happened?  AP said one
and CNN-USA Today picked the other team.  I don't think either is wrong.
I agree with all that Bob Croce let his personal bias get the best of him in
this article.  I picked up Times Union for the game results while I was in Troy
last weekend.  I must say it covered the two local ECAC teams well.  I wished
the paper had run a photo of Cornell (Saturday's paper showed Neil Little from
RPI; Sunday's showed Chris Albert of Union in front of Colgate's net), but no
big deal.
One last comment about throwing slaughtered and bloody animals on the ice:  We
should not condone this kind of cruelty to animals in the context of hockey.  I
can tolerate f-word but this stupidity takes the cake.  I hope the guy spends a
few days in jail.  Imagine if that kind of behavior is pervasive in other
schools; what are they going to do at RPI (the Engineers)?  No more dead
badgers or gophers!!!

Tom Y. Tseng
Cornell '87