Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1991 09:13:59 CST
<Tom Tseng writes>
> Subject:      Pep Band
>
> One final note:  Last year I heard that RPI was changing its nickname from the
> Engineers to the Big Red.

Ugh, I hope not.  The official scool colors are "Cherry and White" but I guess
the Big Cherry doesn't sound too good.  If that's true, then RPI's wishy
washy image change to Rensselaer is well under way.

My personal vote for new school colors would be black and blue which
represent the bruises that undergrads have on their foreheads from
(your choice) 1) Brain cells committing suicide during early morning
F-tests  2) Beer cans crushed against their heads after tests  3) Falling
down the Approach at 4 a.m. on the way back to campus.

Any comments from current denizens of "Dear Old RPI?"

> everyone notice the RPI Pep Band uniform on TV?  Red and white rugby shirts?

I must say that that was the dress.  I've always seen them in.  Take a look
at the FINAL FOUR from '85 and see if that isn't what you see on the band
then also. (Is FINAL FOUR copyrighted, or just Final Four?)  Let's face it
RPI's band seems to have the most exposure with that particular jersey.

> Again, that has been Cornell's pep band uniform for years.  I guess imitation
> is the sincerest form of flattery.

Could be.  Everyone knows that real Engineers don't suffer from the
"not invented here" syndrome.

/matt

P.S.  I don't want to contribute to a band flame war here.  Suffice it
to say that a game a Houston Field house wouldn't have been quite complete
without the band, as is no doubt true at most schools, with most bands.
Let any who's better than whom work itself out amongst those who go to
this year's FINAL FOUR.  Kind of like MVP voting in Baseball, you don't
get points unless you're on a contender.