From:
"Andria L. Hunter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 1991 00:34:57 EST
The final cuts have been made for Team USA, and, yes, Erin Whitten
(of UNH) was selected as one of the goalies.  I heard a rumour that
she will be the backup goalie to Jennifer Hanley.  Here is the article
which I posted to rec.sport.hockey in case any interested people
missed it:

   } Here is a list of the 1992 U.S. National Team.  Nine 1990
   } silver-medalists were selected for the 1992 U.S. National Team
   } which is to participate in the 1992 International Ice Hockey
   } Federation (IIHF) Women's World Hockey Championship in Finland,
   } April 19-25, 1992.
   }
   } At the 1992 IIHF Women's World Championship, a delegation from the
   } International Olympic committee (IOC) will be on hand to observe the
   } action with an eye toward adding women's hockey to the 1998 Winter
   } Olympic Games as a demonstation sport.
   }
   } PLAYER          1991  POS   S/C    BD     90-91 TEAM / HOMETOWN
   } ___________________________________________________________________________
   }
   } Jennifer Hanley        G     L     73     Edina High School/Edina, Minn.
   } Erin Whitten           G     L     71     UNH/Glens Falls, MY
   }
   } Lauren Apollo     Y    D     L     63     Assabet/Quincy, Mass
   } Cindy Curley      Y    D     L     63     Assabet/Leominster, Mass.
   } Shawna Davidson   Y    D     R     70     UNH/Duluth, Minn.
   } Kelly O'Leary     Y    D     L     68     Providence/N. Providence, RI
   } Jeanine Sobek     Y    D     L     72     Northeastern/Coon Rapids, Minn
   } Ellen Weinberg         D     R     68     UNH/Dallas, Tx
   }
   } Michele Amidon         F     L     72     Kingswood-Oxford/Portland, Conn
   } Beth Beagan       Y    F     R     70     Providence/Mashpee, Mass
   } Lisa Brown        Y    F     R     66     Princeton/Union Lake, Mich
   } Karyn Bye              F     R     71     UNH/River Falls, Wisconsin
   } Colleen Coyne          F     R     71     UNH/E. Falmouth, Mass.
   } Cammi Granato     Y    F     R     71     Providence/Downers Grove, Ill
   } Kim Haman              F     L     73     West Valley High/Fairbanks,Alaska
   } Kathy Issel            F     R     73     Michigan Capitals/Ann Arbor, Mich
   } Shelley Looney         F     R     72     Northeastern/Trenton, Mich.
   } Sue Merz          Y    F     L     72     UNH/Greenwich, Conn
   } Wendy Tatarouns        F           72     Assabet/Billerica, Mass.
   } Sandra Whyte           F     R     70     Harvard U/Saugus, Mass.
   } ___________________________________________________________________________
   }
   } Coach: Russell McCurdy (coach of UNH - in 15th season)
   } ___________________________________________________________________________
   }
   } P.S.  Yes, Cammi Granato is the sister of LA's Tony Granato.

The final cuts for Team Canada have not been made.  The team has been
narrowed down to 35 players.  I'm lucky enough to be one of these 35
players.  I'll post the list of the 35 players who will be attending the
final selection camp (to be held Jan 21st) when they send it to me.

Here is an article which I posted last year which may answer some
questions that people in hockey-d were asking about the current
status of women's college hockey in Canada and the US.

   } >I was reading through the articles in rec.sport.hockey
   } >and came across yours about womens hockey.
   } >I had noooooooo clue that womens hockey was fairly
   } >organized within the college system.
   }
   } Yes, it is quite organized, but unfortunately it is not very well
   } publicized.  Scholarships are even given in the United States for
   } Women's hockey as I mentioned in the rec.hockey article I posted.
	(Note: Scholarships were offered at UNH, Providence and
	       Northeastern, but due to severe budget cuts, scholarships
	       have been discontinued at UNH and Providence)
	(Note: There are no scholarships available in Canada)
   } Here is a list of the teams who are active in the United States...
   }
   } COLLEGE VARSITY PROGRAMS             COLLEGE CLUB PROGRAMS
   }
   } Bowdoin College                      Babson
   } Brown University                     Boston College
   } Colby College                        Boston University
   } Cornell University                   Colgate
   } Dartmouth College                    Colorago College
   } Harvard University                   Connecticut College
   } Middlebury College                   Hamilton
   } Univ. of New Hampshire               Maine
   } Northeastern University              Minnesota
   } Princeton University                 Minnesota-Duluth
   } Providence College                   MIT
   } Rochester Inst. of Tech              RPI
   } Skidmore College                     University of Connecticut
   } St. Lawrence University              University of Penn.
   } Wesleyan University                  Vermont
   } Williams                             Wisconsin
   } Yale University
   }
   } There are three divisions.  I played for the University of New Hampshire
   } which was a division I team.  The most competive teams are Providence
   } College, Northeastern University and the University of New Hampshire.
   } The teams compete for the ECAC title.  There is no NCAA in this
   } sport because the teams are only concentrated on the east side of
   } the Country.  The ECAC winner more or less claims the National
   } title.
   }
   } >Did you play in college competitively, or was this intramural??
   }
   } As mentioned above, it was quite competive.  The University of
   } New Hampshire gave me a full scholarship to play for them.  They
   } paid for my tuition, room, board, books, equipment, and of course
   } all travel, meal and hotel expences for "away" games.
   }
   } Currently I am playing for the University of Toronto (I am a Canadian
   } from Peterborough, Ontario) (I graduated from the University of New
   } Hampshire and am currently working on my Master's in Computer Science
   } at U of T).  We play against other Universities within Ontario ...
   } the teams in our league are ...
   }
   } Guelph University
   } McMaster University
   } Queen's University
   } University of Toronto
   } York University
   }
   } I am also aware that there are organized university teams in Eastern
   } Canada, but I am not sure which Universities have teams.  I know for
	(Note: I heard that there are also some teams in Western Canada too.
	       Does anyone know any more about this?)
   } sure that the following teams exist.
   }
   } Concordia University
   } John Abbott College
   } McGill University
   } University of New Brunswick
   }
   } Within Ontario there is an organization called OWHA (Ontario Women's
   } Hockey Association).  There are numerous age divisions and levels
   } ranging from "atom" all the way up to "senior", which is an open age
   } category.  The majority of the players who played on the Canadian
   } National team in the world tournament last spring are from Ontario
   } and play on teams in the Senior "AA" division.  As well as playing
   } for the Universtiy of Toronto I am currently playing on a team in
   } this league called the Scarborough FireFighters.  Teams in the OWHA
   } represent various cities and towns within Ontario.  Within Ontario
   } each division and category competes for the Ontario Championship.
   } At the Senior "AA" level, there is also a National Tournament where
   } the best team from each province competes for the Canadian National
   } title.
   }
   } >Out here in Calif. we have
   } >some Co-ed college hockey teams but I haven't heard of
   } >teams exclusively for women.
   } >I currently play on a Co-ed hockey team.
   }
   } In Ontario especially, there is such an interest in women's hockey
   } that there are enough females to make up all-female teams.  It
   } is common to have Co-ed pickup hockey teams, but you will no
   } longer find organized Co-ed teams in Ontario.
   }
   } >Are the women playing full contact hockey in these games.
   }
   } Just two years ago body contact was removed from ALL levels and
   } divisions of Women's hockey in Ontario.  In both the Canadian
   } and American University hockey programs, there is no body
   } contact.  However, there was body contact in the International
   } tournament which was held last spring in Ottawa.
	(Note: There will be NO body contact in the 1992 world
	       championships to be held in Finland.)
   }
   } To give you an idea about how serious women's hockey is taken
   } at the University level ...
   } When I played for the University of New Hampshire we practiced
   } every day of the week (occasionally with the excepion of Sunday)
   } (for 2 hours) which we did not already have a game on.  At the
   } Unversity of Toronto, our budget isn't quite as large, but we
   } still practice three times a week (2 hour practices).
   }
   } >I presumed that Canada had a team because I read a while ago
   } >that Team Canada won the womens championship.
   }
   } Yes, this is true.  The other countries which also had teams
   } participating in this tournament are ...
   }
   } Canada (gold)
   } United States (silver)
   } Finland (bronze)
   } Sweden (4th place)
   } Japan
   } W.Germany
   } Norway
   } Switzerland
   }
   } I am aware that there are countries other than these which
   } also have women's hockey teams.
   }
   } >I would love to hear more news about womens hockey
   } >around the country. I don't know much about it so you'd be
   } >informing a beginner, but I'd be grateful to learn about the
   } >teams.
   }
   } I will do what I can about keeping people in this newsgroup informed
   } about womens hockey.
   }
   } ___________________________________________________________________________
   } |                         |                                               |
   } |  Andria L. Hunter       |    mail:   [log in to unmask]      |
   } |_________________________|_______________________________________________|

Andria
                                            _______________
                                           /               \