From:
Survivor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1991 23:18:29 EST
This game was one that certainly was a lot different from the last
matchup.  In the last matchup, MC scored 8 goals in the first period and
cruised to a 9-6 win.  Tonights game was a lot different, as the score
indicates.

I don't have most of the box information.  I will leave that to Mike
Machnik (* You're doing a good job Mike, keep up the good work *).
I will report what I have, but it will be sort of limited.

Army scored first.  As I said I don't have the information, so I can't say
who scored it.  Merrimack came back with two of their own before the end
of the period.  The first by Cooper Naylor who picked up a loose puck in
the slot after Dan Gravelle had carried it there and lost it.  Naylor
skated in and put the puck past the goalie for a 1-1 tie.

I believe there was also an assist on the Naylor goal to Claude Maillet, but
don't quote me on that.

The second Merrimack goal came shortly after.  Teal Fowler took the puck
in back of the Army net, pulled a wrap around, and beat the goalie for the
two to one lead.  I have no clue who the assists went to.

Army tied the game in the second.  Again I don't know who.  A shot from the
right wing side came in and surprised goaltender Steve D'Amore.  Steve stopped
it, but the rebound came out too far for him to tie it up , and the puck was
put in on the rebound for the tie.

Merrimack scored the winner with just under 1:00 minute left.  Jeff Massey
skated in on the left wing side, and with some hard work ended up getting
a shot on net.  The puck went in the net amid some controversy.  The net
came dislodged.  I personally think the puck was NOT in the net before it
came off the magnets, but at this point, with Merrimack so banged up
(* Jim GIbson with a torn up knee, Matt Crowley with a ruptured spleen,
   and tonight I found out, Yannick "The Goose" Gosselin with more knee
   trouble.  I saw him at the game with crutches.  The two of us on
    crutches made for one gal to say, "You guys in a race?" *)
, we'll take the win any way we can get it!!!

Steve D'Amore played a decent game, stopping I believe it was 25 of 27 shots.
Mike can correct me if I am wrong.

Merrimack next plays BU next week.  With Agostino Casale still out on
suspension, and the rest of the team so banged up, this one is going to
be a tough game for Merrimack.  I think the game won't be close, but I'm
going to try to be optimistic.  For the record Merrimack has only won
one game against BU in the Merrimack hockey history.  However, that one win
came as a forfeit, when BU was found to have an ineligible player.  That
game was actually won by BU, but the decision went to Merrimack.

Now for a HUGE upset in the making.  A good friend of mine, Pam Sarantagis
put in a call to UMass-Lowell at the end of the Merrimack game.  With one
minute left, UMass-Lowell 5, BC 3.  This game was a matchup between the
teams tied for the top spot in the Hockey East.  Also, Maine was crushing
UNH 9-0 in the third, and Northeastern was losing to BU 7 to 5.

Have a good weekend all, and hope your teams win.

Kevin

e-mail MIGHT reach me at:

"You can still Rock in America"  -Night Ranger