From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1991 08:42:43 EST
Kevin Ames writes:
>Geez!  That is all I need information about handshakes on my account!
>I have little space the way it is!

Well, you're right, it doesn't really affect the game -- but you might be
surprised at how many people care about it.  There was a royal stink at
Cornell over the past few years when then-Harvard coach Bill Cleary kept
pulling his team off the ice at the end of Cornell-Harvard games and not
allowing them to participate in the "traditional" post-game handshake.  As
if this rivalry needed anything else to stir things up.  Perhaps Cleary was
being unfairly criticized for this, because wherever these games were
played, there always seemed to be "incidents" -- brawls, fans throwing
objects on the ice, and so forth.  One time when the two teams did try to do
a post-game handshake, one of the Crimson players (I think it was Steve
Flomenhoft) tried to pick a fight, and the whole thing quickly became a
mess.  *Sigh*  It seems to have been a good idea to get these two teams away
from each other as quickly as possible.  At least last year, the handshakes
after both games passed without incident.

If you think THIS is bad, wait'll we start talking about BANDS!!!  :-)
--
Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and probably '94