From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 1991 11:37:06 -0800
Jack McDonald of DU writes:
> We have now finished four games here in Denver and all coaches, staff
>and most importantly the fans are very upset at the amount of penalties and
>the length of the games.

This is interesting.  There is not nearly the same clamor here in the East
over the rule changes or points of emphasis.  Thanks for letting us know
how things are going out there.

> Last year Denver games averaged 2:36 and this year the four games have
>averaged 2:53. Also we have had only 20-22 minutes of the 60 that are played 5
>on 5.

I have some numbers I can give you, however, first I want to state that I
have noticed that games tend to be a little longer earlier in the season as
it is, while referees make the point that they will be watching for certain
infractions and as players learn what they can and cannot get away with under
the new rules.  I wonder if you can tell us what the average was for the first
four games last season - that might be a better indication of whether the
rules changes are indeed making the games longer than usual.

I have actual box scores from two games here complete with penalties.  In the
Alabama-Huntsville at Lowell game, about 40 of the 60 minutes were played
5x5.  In the Alabama-Huntsville at Merrimack game, it was about 31 of 60
minutes.

As for game time, the UAH-MC game ran about 2:45 but there were a couple of
injuries.  I don't have a time on UAH-UML.  Two games were broadcast on
NESN this weekend, Vermont-Providence and RPI-BU; both ran about 2:30.  TV
timeouts tend to add at least 10 minutes to a game, so figure on these
running around 2:20.

UAH-MC also had quite a few whistles due to offsides and icing.  There were
93 faceoffs in that game; average is around 70-75.  60 minutes in penalties
were called - 2 majors and 25 minors.

In UAH-UML, there were 34 penalty minutes - 17 minors.

I'm not sure what the averages were for last season in HE.  I do know that
the league would like to get the average game time down to around 2:10 -
this happened several times last season, but I don't know if it is a
realistic goal.  Still, it's worth shooting at.

> Also many of the penalties that are called are unoticed by all except
>the officials.

I can't say that this happened in UAH-MC.  I'm sure many fans are unfamiliar
with the points of emphasis and rules changes, thus they may not understand
why there are more interference and holding calls when those were let go last
year.  But I thought most calls were justified.

> This concerns us very much and I am curious as to how games are
>going out East, the CCHA and the independants..
>
> We have had games, scholarships, and coaches reduced by the NCAA, we
>cannot let these new officiating rules take our fans away...

It is too bad if things are really as bad as you say.  Maybe officials in
the WCHA are calling things tighter than they are here.

I just went back over some of the earlier postings and have some additional
numbers for you of box scores posted this weekend.

Wisconsin-St Cloud
Game 1: ~40 min of 5x5, penalties 14 minors for 28 minutes
Game 2: ~38 min of 5x5, penalties 15 minors for 30 minutes

Notre Dame-Air Force
Game 1: ~34 min of 5x5, penalties 20 minors/1 major/1 misc for 55 minutes
Game 2: ~40 min of 5x5, penalties 20 minors for 40 minutes

Just from looking at this set of 8 games (2xWis-SCSU, 2xND-USAFA, UAH-UML,
UAH-MC, & times of UVM-PC and RPI-BU), it seems to me that Denver's
experience may be the exception and not the norm.

- mike