From:
David Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 1995 10:08:48 EDT
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>     University of Maine defenseman Jeff Tory will regain a year
>of eligibility from the NCAA, a Bangor, Maine, television station
>reported Mondaynight.
>... Because he failed to meet the NCAA's entrance requirements,
>Tory lost a year of eligibility. The NCAA had also stripped Tory
>of a year's worth of eligibility because he appeared in three games
>for the Black Bears last season. The NCAA forced the Black Bears to
>forfeit the three games.

I hope this report proves to be true. When this incident happened,
I pointed out that I thought the NC$$ was giving Jeff a double hit
for something that was not his fault. A ruling on this ought to have
been made prior to his appearing in any games, and if the NC$$ couldn't
manage that, it's their fault, not Jeff's. The rationale for the 1-year
ineligibility, as I understand it, is that it gives a student time to
concentrate on getting his academics up to speed. Perhaps some of the
Mainers can confirm this, but I've heard that Jeff was doing quite
well in school. I wish him well both in class and on the ice.
     Dave Carroll, BU '73
     [log in to unmask]     (or if path problems ...