From:
Steve Moerland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 1995 08:17:50 EST
      There were instances where the penalty affected the game, however.  At
least twice a Maine player was pulled down from behind on a 2-on-1.  Clear
textbook cases of interference.  If not pulled down they could have, perhaps,
received the pass from the man with the puck and had half a net to shoot at.
Also, a Michigan player was later pulled down on a break, but again there was
no call.  I agree that they should call less, but infractions that affect
scoring chances HAVE to be called.  This is SOP in the NHL, but I guess not in
the NC$$.  Flagrant fouls need to be called, as well, of course, but the
ticky-tack stuff at center ice can be let go, just like it is late in the
3rd period.  Just my 2 cents.
                                         --Steve Moerland
                                           MSU '92, UK '95