From:
Ken Pavelle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Pavelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 1995 11:02:42 CST
I am having problems being too upset with ESPN. Here's why:

1. First period.  If I was watching the tennis, I would have wanted the chance
to see the end of the match.  ESPN did the next best thing -- ESPN2 until the
tennis was finished.

2. Losing the satellite.  If anyone noticed, that was an awfully long hockey
game.  Producers are human, and given the extraordinary events I can't blame
them too much.  Sh!! happens.

3. Tape delay.  I enjoyed the third OT.  It took awhile, and I was anxious all
through the golf interview.  But now I know why.  They showed the rest of the
game as soon as they could.

My only real complaint is their "wrap-up".  I don't care if the game has run
over, even by a few hours.  Don't close the book and run without even showing a
replay of the winning goal!

If I had heard the results on the radio before seeing the them on TV, I would
be livid.  But I didn't, so I'm not.

If you are going to write/call ESPN, please be careful.  The people who answer
the phones did not have any control over the handling of the coverage, and will
be more receptive to your gripes if raise your language and argument above the
Beavis and Butthead level.  I am happy to see the increased coverage of college
hockey this season, and look forward to seeing more, on ESPN, Prime, FOX, or
whereever.
--
from: LTJG Kenneth A. Pavelle, NOAA
      NOAA, National Weather Service

"Its hard to predict anything, especially the future" -- Yogi Berra