From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 1991 14:59:19 GMT
John Feigal writes:
>Excerpts from Mike M's response to Kenny Z:
>> The reason for the offsides rule in the first place was to prevent
>> goal-hanging.
>
>I have never heard of the term goal-hanging before.  What does this refer to?

I.e., a player who would just hang around the offensive zone waiting for his
teammates to get the puck up ice and to him so he could score.  You hear
this a lot now in informal street hockey games.  Being the solid defenseman
that I am, it is usually my job to cover these meatheads.

>> I cannot recall seeing it at least recently, but I have seen old films where
>> #4 would hold the puck far from his body, still in control, and
 simultaneously
>> fend off a defender as he entered the zone before the puck, which was at
 about
>> a 45 degree angle behind him.
>
>Who is the #4 you are refering to?

Robert Gordon Orr, also known as the Baybanks guy.

- mike