From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 23:59:36 -0500
Jayson Moy writes:
>Kurt and I discussed this as we watched the play, and we both wondered what
>was going on.
>
>Apparently it goes like this:
>
>The first set of coincidental minors forces the 2 minutes.  At the end of 2
>minutes, the 4x4 must be replaced.  The second set of 2 minute minors
>are no loss of manpower.  So, there must be a 4x4 for the first set
>of matching minors, and no replacement for the second set.  Therefore,
>someone must come out of the box after 2 minutes to make it 5x5.

This still doesn't make sense to me, given the way the rule (4-2-e)
reads:

"When ONE (emphasis theirs) minor penalty is assessed to ONE player of
EACH team at the same stoppage of play, these penalties will be served
without substitution provided there are no other penalties in effect
and visible on the clock."

Since each player received a double minor - two minors - this section
doesn't apply and substitution is allowed.