From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 19:19:10 -0400
Uh, the person known as 'Jimmy Page is God' writes

>Also, I've never heard of a goalie captain.  Have there ever been
>       such things?

According to the '93 NCAA Rules, 2.2.c. "No goalkeeper shall be
entitled to exercise the privileges of captain"

Despite the rule, Princeton was captained by goalies Dave
Shea and Dave Marotta in 1986-87 (and, perhaps more notably,
by goalie-come-Sports Illustrated writer E.M. Swift in 1972-73).

I can't tell you how old the rule is, but I did ask former
Princeton coach Jim Higgins about Shea and Marotta once and
he looked at me like I was crazy. Either the rule was in effect
but not enforced or not in effect. Now that I think about it,
Jim Higgins looked at everyone like he/she was crazy.

As for the regional setup, just wait until Harvard loses on the
Saturday night following a Friday night win in the NCAA regionals.
The NCAA will add a day off the following season :-).

Geoff Howell
The Trenton Times
Drop the Puck