From:
Charles Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 1991 11:17:17 -0600
> Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1991 16:51:00 MST
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Denver Tournament
> To: Multiple recipients of list HOCKEY-L <[log in to unmask]>
>
>        Plans are currently underway for a holiday hockey tournament to be held
> at the University of Denver on Dec. 29 & 30, 1992 at the DU Ice Arena (cap.
> 4tournament will feature a few exciting d
> etails:
>
>        % The tournament will be hosted by Denver and Air Force renewing the
> Pioneer-Falcon rivalry. The last time DU and Air Force played was in 1987.
>
>        % With the NCAA limit of 34 games and with DU playing 32 in the WCHA,
> this will insure DU of having its two remaining games at home.
>
>        % The other teams invited and have tentatively agreed to play are Notre
> Dame and Army.
>
>        % First round match-ups, times and the name of the tournament have yet
> to be finalized. (Any suggestions?)
>
> Jack McDonald
> Athletic Director
> University of Denver

Hi...
I sponsor 4 cadets on the USAFA team, and my kids are close friends with
chuck's kids (jon and phillip are on the same Squirt team, and sarah and
jessica are both teenage girls)  I can't tell from your posting wheter this is
a one shot deal or if this will be an annual tourney.  If annual, will you
alternate between DU and the academy?

I spoke with jordy (bowman) about USAFA vs Notre Dame once they were in
the ccha, and i got the impression the series would be cut down to 2 games a
year.  Would the tourney be in addition to the two game series I've heard
about.

Renewing the interaction between DU and USAFA is a good thing DU is the only
place (other than CC) where USAFA can reasonably have fans go to away games
(although I've been to JV games at alpine against the denver bisons, and down
to pueblo to watch the jv play the ravens??)

It would be exciting to see this bloom into a colorado equivalent of the
beanpot, but that means getting CU or CSU to really field a team instead of a
club team. Think of an annual tournament (at BIG MAC) with DU CC USAFA and
(WHO???????)

I have some concerns (long term) for the future of teams that aren't in
leagues.  The WCHA can't grow to 10 teams and still do 4 against everyone else
with this 34 game limit, but don't see any alternates staring me in the face.
team

You wanted suggestions for 1st round.  It will be 2 of the 6 pairings below

USAFA ARMY
DENVER ND
The first is a war, and the second is (judging from past records and level of
competition) almost a gift to Denver.  There would be good fan interest in both
games.

USAFA DENVER
ARMY ND
Since there is no "home" team, there will be less fan interest in the second
game. USAFA is the underdog and the other is a "pickem"

USAFA ND
ARMY DENVER
Here army is probably an underdog

charlie shub  [log in to unmask]  -or-  cdash@colospgs (BITNET)