From:
Ron Babuka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 1991 08:45:32 EDT
Being a graduate of Oswego State, a Div III school with a history of
occasionally making it into the NCAA playoffs, I thought I would drop
a couple of reasons why the playoffs should NOT be at a neutral site.
Just a disclaimer - I am writing this from the Oswego State frame of
being that we are a state college belonging to SUNYAC and ECAC-West.

 - I think most Div III schools draw their students from a smaller
   geographical area and more alums stay within this area.

 - After 3 years of witnessing fans at Lynah Rink at Cornell as compared
   to 2 years of seeing fans at Romney Fieldhouse at Oswego - I think
   that most fans at the DIV III level ARE the students - not locals.

 - At Oswego, I think that a large number of the students would be
   unable to afford a trip out to a neutral site - unless it was
   relatively close.

 - At the Div III level, we play in older rinks, with smaller budgets.
   Even though we would never trade them, the players are from the "TOO"
   squad (a step too slow, a little too light) and the play isn't alway
   crisp (and God knows the officiating never is).  So the thought of
   having the playoff at your rink is just a little compensation.

 - If it isn't broke don't fix it.