From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 10:51:45 -0500
Carol White writes:
>On one of the MSC broadcasts of the WCHA Final Five last weekend, announcer
>Frank Mazzocco said that none of the CCHA officials would be eligible to work
>the NC$$ tournament. This being due to the fact that the CCHA now uses one
>referee and two linesmen.
>
>Can anyone in the CCHA (Keith, John H) confirm this?

I can't confirm that this has actually happened, but it has been in
the air since before the season, when the CCHA returned to one referee
and two linesmen.  The CCHA was supposedly told that if they stuck
with one referee, then none of their officials would be allowed to
work the NC$$s.  I have not heard that this decision has changed.

Yesterday, I was trying to think of what officiating crews would be
sent where...the easiest one to figure out, I think, is that HE's
Cole-Gravallese-Jones will almost certainly work RPI-Minnesota and one
of the two games the next night.  And an ECAC crew (Noeth?) will
probably handle MSU-Wisconsin and a game the next night, although if
MSU beats Wisconsin, a WCHA crew could be assigned to MSU-Michigan.

I'll expect a WCHA crew to work LSSU-Clarkson and another ECAC crew to
do UNH-Denver.

Another possibility is that two HE crews could get sent West, and the
top ECAC crew could stay East along with a WCHA crew.  That would be a
bit more expensive, however.

Oh well, it's more interesting than the sieve cheer.

With the talk about the RPI-Minnesota series (when it has not degenerated
into "my team is better than yours"), I wondered who might be helped
more by an HE crew including Cole, who likes to let the teams play as
long as the game stays under control.  I'm not really sure.