From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 1991 16:29:00 CDT
   Carol did a thorough and entertaining job of describing our trip to
Eveleth, so I will limit myself to throwing in a few additional details.

   The Stanley Cup was brought to center ice before the start of the
Minnesota-Northern Michigan game.  I suspect that this was the first time
that the Cup has appeared at a college game, though I could easily be
wrong.  The national anthem was sung by a local resident who is a cousin
of Frank and Peter Mahavolich (the Big M and the Little M).

   It's too bad that the Wildcats didn't bring the McNaughton Cup with
them to display at the Hall of Fame alongside the Stanley Cup.  As anyone
who has seen both trophies knows, the McNaughton cup is the more beautiful
and impressive of the two.  On the other hand, the Stanly Cup has all those
great names on it...

   The people of Eveleth are very friendly, and really nuts about hockey.
Though the Twins were playing in the American League playoffs that evening,
the Eveleth Hippodrome was full of hockey fans.  The Hall of Fame is an
impressive place, and well worth a visit.  Any fan of the game who is
visiting northern Minnesota should make the pilgrimage to Eveleth the U.S.
Hockey Hall of Fame.

   The game between Minnesota and Northern Michigan, while not a typical
contest between the two teams, indicates that no one will have an easy
time winning the WCHA championship this season.

-- Erik