Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 1991 17:29:41 -0400
 As I was saying, the induction ceremony was very moving and was well covered
 by local TV and other media personnel. It was kind of cold being outside for a
 little over an hour with all the speeches. From what I have just heard, the
 area.

 After the ceremony we decided to skip the banquet and take in a "home-cooked"
 meal at the Cafe Deluxe in downtown Eveleth on Grant Street (the main drag).
 Then we proceede to the scenic overlook of the Leonidas mine area. These old
 Iron Ore Mines are really something to see. The sun popped out and the colors
 on the hills were gorgeous. Before the game we stopped in to a local bar and
 had a pre-game beverage!

 The Eveleth Hippodrome is really something. It seats around 3500, so
 considering that we had approximately 2,200 in attendance at the same time
 that the Twins were playing on TV, that was excellent! The game itself was a
 little disappointing, in that NMU came at the Gophers with all they had, using
 regular lines and regular shifts. The Gophers were trying different line
 combinations and just seeing how certain players fit together.

 The Ref for the game was really on a power trip, and took to heart the areas
 of emphasis for the year. It wouldn't surprise me if there were 20 penalties
 that were called in the first 2/3 of the first period. It could have been
 really dangerous to be playing so hard in the Hippodrome as the boards there
 are cemented in and do not give much. Luckily both teams came away healthy,
 despite a really hard fought game.

 I was very disappointed in the Gopher's defense, especially since one of our
 goalies and a "favorite" defenseman EACH put in a goal for NMU! Considering
 that, I cannot be disappointed in the outcome (7-5) as that makes it even-up
 in my book. The game was an exhibition and therefore is not counted or looked
 at in determining any post-season play.

 All in all it was a fabulous trip and a wonderful experience.  If your team
 plays in the Hall of Fame Game next year or the following year, DO GO it was
 great, really great!

 -Carol
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!