From:
Robert Gaskins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 1995 05:29:43 CST
On Sunday, G. M. Finniss wrote about LSSU's defeat of MSU in the CCHA
championship game:

>  While Buzak was on the All-Tournament Team as the
>  goaltender, he made two key errors in the third that cost
>  MSU the game.

Come on, Gary!  Buzak's errors are NOT what cost MSU the game.  MSU lost the
game in the second period when the team failed to show up.

If the same team that had played the first period had taken the ice for the
second, or even just the third period, the game might have been won, if not in
the third, then probably in an overtime.

As it happened, however, MSU went to sleep in the second -- the same pattern
they've exhibited during a good part of this season.  Only this time they
failed to wake up again in the third.

As I noted early in the season, MSUs biggest problem has been moving the puck
into the opponent's zone.  They did a GREAT job of it in Sunday's first period.
 But that team didn't return to the ice again for the rest of the game.  Where
was the offense?  Where were the almighty seniors?

Buzak made 11 saves during the second.  While our fantastic offense was hard
at work taking a record-breaking* THREE (yes, count 'em -- T H R E E) shots on
the LSSU goal in those 20 minutes.  Just like most of MSUs losses this season,
the shots on goal stat tells the real story:  You can't win if you don't play.

Anyway, that's my 2".  I haven't contributed for awhile and felt it was time.
(Not to mention reading that "Buzak ... cost MSU the game" sent me ballistic.
I had to look at the signature twice to be sure Matt Shegos hadn't written it.)

* (I don't know if three shots in a period is record-breaking or not.  It sure
seems as if it might be.  Besides, that description does get your attention,
doesn't it?)

     -- Bob Gaskins
(Please address flames to [log in to unmask], otherwise you'll jam my
small mailbox here and I won't get to savor them as intended.)