From:
Reed H Munson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Reed H Munson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 1995 21:46:12 -0600
I'm going to air my feelings about the SIEVE chant and UW fan's
UNSPORTSMAN-LIKE conduct. All flames can be directed me off the list.

Thank you

On Mon, 20 Mar 1995, Mike Reynolds wrote:

> You are 100% correct about the SIEVE chant if WIS were down 10-1. I'm assuming
> if the gophers were down 10-1 their fans would do the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A thing,
> too. I guess it was okay for the MINN fans to do their chant when they scored
> against CC as long as CC won the game. The guy who wrote that should be
> envious of the fan support we have - college hockey needs it if they want to
> get on TV more.

There's a big difference between what the U of M does after scoring and
what UW does. Both schools play their school songs. The similarities end
their. Wisconsin goes into a fanatical Sieve chant aimed only at
ridiculing and insulting the opposing team. Minnesota yells out the
letters of their state -- we're really into English and spelling up here.

The UW fanatical Sieve chant has no logic. UW can be getting their butts
handed to them by a vastly superior team and the band and fans will still
do the sieve chant after a goal. Think about it!!! You're losing! You
shouldn't be claiming that your opponent sucks when your losing.

I know there are more important issues out there on the list (like the
instant replay discussion) but I believe you should only do a sieve chant
when your team has scored at least 3 goals on a goalie and your team is
winning.

Now I won't claim that the student section in Mariucci Arena hasn't been
know to do the sieve cheer. BUT... For one thing, the band doesn't start
it. They obviously don't want to be compared to the UW band and the U of M
administration is sensitive about what kind of image the school and its
fans portray to others. Ridiculing you opponent isn't cool. A sieve cheer
doesn't catch on unless the crowd is really keyed up against an opponent
or the goalie is obviously performing as a sieve.

There's no reason fans shouldn't be fanatical about their schools. Fan is
an abbreviation of the word fanatic. All I ask is that fans show
sportsmanship.

My 5k worth.

Reed

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A