From:
Tim Brule <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Brule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 1995 20:42:03 -0600
On Mon, 20 Mar 1995, Mike Machnik wrote:

> The complaints about the too many men call on Providence in the HE
> Championship Game are ludicrous.  The call was justified.  After the
> game I spoke with NESN color man Bob Norton, who as I saw during the
> game (we had replay in the press box), said he had all six players
> circled on his monitor and noted that the player closest to the bench
> was playing the puck.  I don't know what more you want - it was a
> textbook call.  It was the RIGHT call.

The anouncers did a great job on this call. They circled the 6 skaters on
the ice and showed that the closest player to the bench had the puck.
The call was correct.

> Text deleted
>
> As
> one whose loyalties lie with neither BU nor PC - although I felt a tug
> on my heartstrings for the underdog Friars - I am confident that the
> criticisms of the officiating that have appeared on HOCKEY-L are
> wholly unjustified.

As a gopher fan, I also offer a relatively unbiased perspective on the
officiating for this game. I saw a fast paced game with little clutching
and grabbing. During the game, I actually commented to a friend of mine on
the quality of play and officiating I was seeing.

BTW I think bashing the refs has also gone to far, especially from gopher
fans. The non-goal in OT of the CC game was a judgement call the ref
made. Bonin was in the crease. He blew the play dead before Crowley's
shot went in. End of story! Tough pill to swallow, but there is always
Madison.

Tim Brule
Go Gophers!