From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 1991 00:01:19 CDT
I have a couple of questions, which someone with a rule book should be
able to answer. I intend to buy a rule book, but haven't gotten around
to it...

> There are a few NEW rules for the game this year too. Each team must only have
> ONE captain. Also, the captains from each team will meet prior to the start of
> the game with the referee.

I assume this is so that the ref can give them any instructions
on how he expects the teams to conduct themselves, how he will
deal with the captains, etc?

> In overtime, especially in tournaments, goalies will always stay in the same
> net that they defended in the first and third period, regardless of the number
> of overtime periods required to decide the game.

If there is some difference in the ends of the rink, is there the
option of switching? When?

> Here is another interesting change: If a player of the defending team
> deliberately displaces the goal, and an opponent has a clear shot at scoring,
> a penalty shot OR minor penalty is assessed. In the past, it was just a minor
> penalty. This could create some interesting coaching options!!

Is this the ref's call or the team's choice? "Interesting coaching options"
implies that the coach gets to choose...

> And finally on icing calls, the puck must be entirely past the center red line
> to nullify icing. If it is touching the line at all when shot down the ice,
> icing the puck will be called.

What are the rules with respect to the other lines on the ice:
	-- does the puck have cross the end red line for icing to be called?
	   (if the offensive team touched the puck while it is touching the
	   red line is icing waved off?)
	-- if the puck is touching the blue line, is it "in" or "out"
	   of the zone for offsides calls ? (and does it matter which
	   way it is going -- ie all the way in when bringing the puck
	   in, all the way out when the puck pops out along the blue
	   line?)

--david