From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 1995 16:36:31 EST
Terrence G. writes:

>>Tomorrow the ten finalist for the Hobey Baker award will be announced.
>>Chris Imes should be one of the leading candidates for the Hobey.  For
>>those of us who have watched him lead the Maine hockey team this year,
>>it's difficult to imagine where Maine would have finished without Imes.
>>His presence has been huge all season.  There is no other individual in
>>college hockey that I would prefer to have on my team.
>
>>Chris Imes for the Hobey!
>
>As for the Hobey Baker, it would be great to see Imes get it, however
>I'd be floored if this happens.  How often has a defenceman been
>awarded the Hobey?  I've got a feeling big numbers count more with
>the voters.

Perhaps, but defensemen have won the Hobey twice in the award's fifteen-
year history.  Harvard's Mark Fusco won it in 1983, and Minnesota-Duluth's
Tom Kurvers won it the following year.  I have no idea what the scoring
numbers were for these two; I suspect Fusco's were rather high for a de-
fenseman, but I have no idea about Kurvers' .

Also, goaltender Robb Stauber (Minnesota) won it in 1988 -- he had some
pretty impressive numbers, as I recall.

(This info available in the HOBEY WINNERS file in the HOCKEY-L archives)
--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and '94.5               |  [log in to unmask]
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million type-
 writers, and Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare."
-- Blair Houghton