From:
Ralph Slate '91 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph Slate '91 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 1995 15:23:13 GMT
Kurt's analysis of Lake Placid was right on - but only from
the point of view of someone with media credentials. Re-read
his posting, and take out all the good points that are only
available to someone with a press pass.

Face it, the media get their asses kissed up at Placid. I
remember the first year that we had the touranment up there;
The media had passes that got them anywhere; FREE bobsled rides
(the rest of us pay $25), FREE luge rides ($10), access to
free food and beer, etc. Here's what the rest of us experience:

Expensive hotels, at least compared to the Boston area. You MUST
get 2 nights. Period. So that doubles any lodging expense.
If you're willing to stay 20 miles out of town, you get get
away for $50 a night; otherwise it's $100 a night.

No parking. Sure, if you stay right down town there's
a chance you'll have parking provided (it fills up fast
though). But if you're not right in the center of town you have
to park in a lot that's a good 20 minutes walk to the center
of town.

Nothing to do. Kurt touched on this, but at least he had
the media functions to go to. BORING...

Although there are a couple of good restaurants, they are a tad
expensive, and they get boring, year after year.

And to top if off, the drive pretty much sucks. 2.5 hours into
the middle of nowhere (from Albany). In the snow and cold.

But since the ECAC gods and the media got the royal treatment, they
decided to have the tourney there for the next couple of years.
They disregarded the fans.

I say that the ECAC's should be returned to Boston Garden; sure,
we'll be in Hockey East's shadow, but now all the big press
goes to Boston and leaves the ECAC to be all alone in the snow.
And I really can't stand the Empire Cable Network's broadcasts
(they do the TV coverage). NESN is _much_ better. And how
can you beat one of the largest cities in the country for
a cultural experience; Boston, and the new Garden, is the way
to go in the future.

Ralph