From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1991 16:44:04 GMT
Scott Young's agent, Randy Vataha (the former Patriot?), has said that
Young, who was holding out with Pittsburgh, has signed a contract with an
Italian team.  He also wants to play in the Olympics, reprising his role
from 1988 when he was a key player.  (info from Lori on r.s.h)

If this happens and Lafontaine's holdout continues so that he joins Team USA,
Dave Peterson will be in the enviable position of having to choose from the
greatest collection of forwards ever assembled for any non-Soviet Olympic
team.  As it is now, from the 17 forwards with the team, I could not choose
which 12 I'd want to dress.

But, one thing I don't want to see is players using the Olympic team as a
bargaining tool.  For example, Boston's Glen Wesley was about to head to the
Canadian team before he signed.  If a player like Lafontaine is going to join
the team and take away some playing time from a kid who's been there from
the start, he had better stay until February or he's going to be on my #$%&
list for quite a while.  Just my 2 cents.

- mike